Monday, September 9, 2013

How Am I Short ?

Short post today because it's a picture blog.  Below are the before and after pictures from the activities today ... dirt and fertilizer spread, sprinklers hooked up and running, and sod laid down in our park-sized front yard!

BEFORE (fertilized dirt pile not spread yet)
 
DURING (fertilized dirt now spread - different view)

AFTER (sod installed - original view)

The title of the post is in reference to the amount of sod I ordered.  After much discussion and measuring (once we realized we were nearly 250 square feet short on sod), the error in my initial math became very clear.  Somehow I forgot that the front easement is just as long as the rest of the yard.  I had calculated it at half the length, which accounted for the whole error.

HUGE thanks to my brothers-in-law Brian L and Rick L for their hard work in the yard.  Brian even took my dad in a rush to go and pick up 21 more rolls of sod (how *convenient was it that Brian's van already had the seats taken out?!)  Their backs and arms and whole bodies must be sore, but my yard looks excellent!  Thanks also to my sons Josh Jr and Ben, as well as my nephew Daniel for their help too.

And here is one more "after" picture of the "finished" front yard.  I took several photos of the yard before (with rocks and weeds and general not-looking-good type landscaping) but I cannot seem to find them on our computer.  :(



Song Of The Day:
There is no more appropriate song today, with new sod in the yard, than "I Wish It Would Rain Down" by Phil Collins.  I would be most grateful to Mother Nature if she would see fit to rain down on my new sod and help it take root.  It's a bit late in the year to get sod in, but with the right moisture we should be just fine (if the cold temperatures could hold off for another 4-6 weeks that would be icing on the cake!)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment