Thursday, June 23, 2011

What do you do after you "vent" ?

I need something positive and uplifting after that last BLAH / Grumpy post ... so I thought I'd share a few links to some videos/songs on YouTube that I "stumbled" across which were like finding an extra prize in your cereal box on a Saturday morning when you were a little child and prizes in a box of cereal made your whole year.

This first link is the a video for the song "Doubting Thomas" by Nickel Creek.  They are a bluegrass band that had some hits on the country charts several years back.  You may have heard some of their music, but even if you haven't I think you might still really enjoy this song.  It is a little sad and depressing, especially considering the way this "fan" chose to depict the song in the video.  It follows the story of a woman who was abused by her father at a young and impressionable age.  She is now engaged (or married ... this is not entirely clear) but is doubting whether or not she is capable of having faith in her fiance / husband because of the abusive past experience.
I know you probably think that I'm crazy for following up my "venting" blog with this sad little story/video, but it is actually inspirational for me because the woman in the video says (in the letter she leaves for her husband) that she will be back!  Like many of us, she simply needs some time to reconcile her prior issues so she can move forward and enjoy the happiness she (and her beau) so richly deserve.

This next link is not so much a "video" as just a song that I absolutely fell in love with the very first time I heard it.  The song is "I See The Light" from the movie Tangled.  It is sung by Mandy Moore (who is, of course more than capable with a beautiful voice) and ... Chuck!  Okay, he just plays the character Chuck on the aptly named sitcom, but his real name is Zachary Levi ... and the man can sing!
I love this song partially because it fit so perfectly in the movie (which I went to go see with my oldest daughter when it was in theaters), but also because the melody, harmony, and vocal range (at least for the male part) are beautiful and I am able to sing along comfortably!  Plus, it is so cool to hear a person I've watched for years on a tv show demonstrate their ability to do more than just act.  It is as impressive as when I heard Ewan MacGregor bust out amazing harmonies in "Come What May" in the soundtrack to the movie "Moulin Rouge."

This next link is to a fun, upbeat song about how ticked off this man is about not being able to attract a woman because she has unrealistic expectations.  The artist is Cee Lo Green and the song is "F* You" (but the version linked above is the "clean" one titled "Forget You").  I personally prefer the F* You version, but the clean one still conveys the message intended.  I think we all dream of being able to say this to someone.  It may be a former dating partner or a tempermental boss or a family member ... but you just want to say ... FORGET YOU!  :)

This final link is to another upbeat song that begins with some serious hatred and negativity from the lead singer but even before he gets to the first chorus his mood is excited and looking forward to the future.  The artist/group is Hot Chelle Rae and the song is "Tonight, Tonight."
My favorite part of this song is almost near the end when he is singing the chorus and hook (oh, ohh, oh!) repeatedly.  You have to listen carefully but he begins to invite people to join him (all you party people, all you singletons) ... and then he busts out "even the white kids!"  That one just makes me laugh!
I have no idea if this guy is a "white kid" but I actually think we're closer to breaking down barriers of racism when we are willing to mock ourselves (and in the right spirit one another) for those stereotypical idiosyncracies we have within different cultures, races, nationalities, and so forth.  As long as people understand those stereotypes are often but not always accurate, then we can just laugh about it instead of getting all offended.

I hope you like these songs and/or videos.  Thanks for letting me follow my grumpy blog with something much more upbeat and enjoyable (except for the Doubting Thomas song anyway!)  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment