Monday, August 19, 2013

So What Did You Think ?

I am beginning to hate this question.

It has been a tradition for many years for my wife and I to attend the Parade of Homes here in Colorado Springs.  It began shortly after we bought our first home and wanted a way to dream big about what our future "perfect" home might look like.  Then a few years later it started to morph into looking for decorating ideas, including landscape designs.  Lately though, even the decorating ideas are passe for me.  This is only made worse by the presence of the blog title question, which is asked by EVERY person in EVERY home that has any responsibility for the home.

Karen is always nice and polite, with a statement like "oh it's very nice" or just a simple "beautiful" statement.  I am running out of patience to respond so politely and have begun resorting to grunts or head nods and a simple "Thank you."

I am wondering if it might not be better to just lay into the person with a clear critique of the flaws in their designed home.  I don't want to start an argument, but some of these houses have poorly designed areas, and I'm beginning to feel like I owe it to them to point out where these are.  It is a disappointment to love certain elements of the home, only to find glaring mistakes in other areas.

Should I be more blunt?  Are they really seeking my thoughts and opinions?  Or do they prefer the passing "very nice" comments?  Perhaps I should just ask them "Do you want some honest and open feedback or just pleasantries?"  But then, do they actually care considering I will not be buying a home (from them or anyone else) in the next 15-20 or more years?

Maybe I should just stop going.


Song Of The Day:
The song "What Was I Thinkin'?" by Dierks Bentley came to my mind while writing this post.  It applies equally well to the next person who asks me this question and then gets my blunt answer as it does to me for continuing to look at these homes.  As a bonus, his awesome song "Up On The Ridge" can also apply to many of the homes we have been seeing.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment