Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Can One Person Make Much Difference?

I hope that one of my qualities is the ability to connect with just about anyone.  I like to believe that my experiences are not just mine but that other people feel, think, and sometimes suffer through the same things.  I guess that's why I like blogging.  It is a chance to share some of my experiences, most often with the sole hope that readers (now or long in the future) will find things that resonate with them in their own life.

On occassion, I think about the movie "It's A Wonderful Life" and the experience that Jimmy Stewart's character has wherein he sees what the world would be like if he hadn't ever been in it.  I don't get discouraged often, but sometimes I do wonder if my presence is really making much of a difference to anyone or anything.  Recently, I have had multiple experiences that reminded me of the benefit I have been in a variety of people's lives.  I don't share these to brag or boast (they certainly aren't worthy of any deep admiration), but to point out that we all probably have this kind of influence for good in the world ... and to remind us that every so often it's good to pause, look around, and be grateful for your individual influence on the world around you.

Within the past few days I have been:
 - thanked by one of my team members at work for "putting him at ease" on something that was really stressing him.
 - informed that one of my prior blog posts provided my brother-in-law that little extra oomph he needed to revisit one of his personal goals in life.
 - placed in charge of the Pinewood Derby races for our local pack (and thanked profusely afterward by other leaders who said they had no idea how they would have done it without me).
 - priviledged to have several conversations with a few of my kids, helping them learn how to take responsibility and ownership for their schoolwork and extra-curricular activities (instead of blaming society, or their teachers, or their parents as seems to be prevalent in society nowadays

So take a moment, if you can spare it, and think about someone who has influenced you for good in the last week (or longer ago if you need).  And let them know what they've done for you.  It will make you feel good and it just might make their day, week, month, or year!

Song Of The Day:
Inspired by my brother-in-law's recent efforts to revisit one of his life goals, today's song is "Breakout" by Swing Out Sister.  No, he is not in prison or anything like that.  Rather, the song title makes me think of how he is pushing himself to break out of his current life mold and reshape himself into the man he thought he would be at this stage in life.  It's virtually never too late!  Way to be Bro!  Way to be!  (and good luck!)  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment