Wednesday, August 31, 2011

ANOTHER New TV Show ?

I blogged around a month ago about watching That 70's Show with Karen.  We finished watching the full series a little over a week ago and were looking for another new-to-us series to watch (or catch up on) through our Instant Netflix on the Wii.  We scrolled through the available TV Shows, etc. and one title caught my attention: Merlin

I know my brother-in-law and his wife have watched the series for a while now, but it struck me that at least one other couple we know had mentioned it (although I simply cannot remember who!)

So we gave it a go ... and I have to say, I was pretty impressed.

The acting is good (sometimes a little over-the-top).  The storylines are fair (nothing too unpredictable, but I kinda like being able to figure out how it's going to end each episode).  The dialogue doesn't drag too much (there have been a few scenes that seemed like time-fillers).  The premise is unique enough (it is a King Arthur based dramedy focused on the early life of the famous sorcerer Merlin).

But I have to wonder ... if all the individual parts of the show are so mediocre ... why am I enjoying it so much?!  We've burned through maybe a dozen episodes already and I literally can't wait to see where the show is headed.  I'm totally bought into the main characters and I get frustrated when we have to stop watching for the night to head to bed.

Perhaps it is true that the sum is greater than the parts.

...

1 comment:

  1. I've caught some of the show, just flipping through channels, and it does look kind of interesting. I agree with you that with some things the sum is greater than the parts.

    ReplyDelete