Wednesday, August 31, 2011

What's worse than a Sunburn ?

If you follow my blog regularly, you know why I have a major sunburn.  For those who don't, it was the result of excessive direct sunlight atop Pikes Peak.

It was all funny (because I was so red) and yet painful (did I mention how red I was?!) but around dinnertime last night I began feeling much better.  Dehydration and unquenchable hunger were gone.  My face, head and legs were not hyper sensitive to any touch or itch or rub.
It felt so good to not hurt anymore.

And then it happened ...

I looked in the mirror and was horrified at what I saw.

My skin was peeling!

ALL OVER !!!

I would post pictures, but (thankfully) I have avoided any cameras during this awkward transition.  I spent 15 minutes in the shower this morning just rubbing and peeling the dead, burned skin off my face.  It only helped a little bit.  I cleared my forehead, which is now a nice, shiny pink color!  But under my eyes, and on my cheeks, and especially around my goatee/beard there are just flakes and flakes of dry, dead, skin.  It looks awful!  I don't feel presentable in public!

I have decided that this peeling process is WAY worse than the pain that comes with the sunburn.  At least with the pain you know that you are sensitive ... whereas with the peeling, it just happens.  I could be in the middle of a conversation with someone and all of a sudden my face could get super dry and it looks like I'm in a skin blizzard!

My apologies to any of you who have either experienced this yourselves, or who have had to witness someone going through the change.  I'll try not to be seen until it is all over.  See you next week!  :)

...

No comments:

Post a Comment