Sunday, February 20, 2011

Why won't that light go on ?

This evening I decided it would be nice of me to turn on the kids' lamps in their rooms before they had to head down to the DARK basement for bed.  In Josh Jr's room, the lamp wouldn't come on.  I tried a different plug and then, just for good measure, I tried to plug his radio in.  Nothing worked.

Then it hit me ... ahhh, he must have blown a fuse or tripped the circuit.

Normally this would not be a big deal, but Josh Jr's room sits on the opposite side of the wall from where our "extra" refrigerator and freezer are plugged in downstairs.  Realizing that this could be a much bigger issue I immediately checked those two beastly wondersMy worst fears were confirmed.  They had both been without power for at least 8 hours, possible as many as 18 hours.

But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the frozen food was still frozen (at least the meats, etc. were solid as a rock and look to not have been thawed at all).  There were a few minor losses, such as popsicles and frozen lemonade cans ... but nothing that was really bad at all.  The sodas in the fridge were still plenty cold, so I guess we dodged a real bullet there.

I am just thankful for the inspired idea of my doing this small act of service for my kids.  Had I not done so, the food would have gone at least another hour without the chill and who knows how much more we would have lost.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment