Sunday, October 16, 2011

Would you like to share another one ?

Today, my oldest son Josh Jr (12) received the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained to the office of a Deacon in our ward (Oakwood) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

I am so proud of him and of his decision to enter into the Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood.  It is a sacred and personal choice, which required a meeting and interview with our Bishop (that happened on the Wednesday evening shortly after we got back into town from Thermopolis).  Bishop Porter advised me after the interview that he was very impressed by Josh Jr and his knowledge of God's plan for us on this earth.  He also was impressed that Josh Jr had a good understanding of the purpose of obtaining the Priesthood (which, in it's most basic form, is to serve others).

Today at church was a whirlwind day for him (and our whole family, but obviously the biggest impact was for him).  My Blog Title Question is what the Bishop asked him at the pulpit during Sacrament Meeting.  A little background is appropriate here.  In our ward, the Bishop prefers to have any young man who is receiving the Priesthood come to the pulpit and share one of the 13 Articles of Faith.  Josh Jr knew this moment was coming and he felt prepared, but a little nervous.  He had chosen to share the 4th Article of Faith (listed at the bottom of this blog if you don't already know it or are not a "Mormon" yourself), which is longer than others but also his personal favorite.  He struggled after just the first few words ... and then the emotions set in.  He tried a second time and the words failed him yet again.  My heart was beating as hard as his and I wanted so badly to come to his aid, but I was so impressed with what happened next.  His voice trembling and filled with trepidation, he pushed through and recited, word for word, the whole thing!  I was so proud (and I think everyone in the audience was as relieved as he was).  It was after that when our wonderful Bishop eased the tension by asking Josh Jr if he wanted to share another Article of Faith.  Josh Jr was quick to reply with a loud "No!" while shaking his head.  The whole audience chuckled and the services continued on after the Bishop said a few more kind words about my great son!

Many extended family members attended his actual ordination (performed by me in the third block of church meetings in the afternoon) in the Deacon's Quorum.  It was also nice for Josh Jr to invite Brother Dave Tusler (his other scout leader and teacher in Sunday School) to join in the circle for his blessing.

I am so excited for my son to begin passing the Sacrament next week and also participate in other acts of service at church and as he grows in the scouting program right along with his Young Men's responsibilities.  He looked every bit the part of "a young man prepared" and I hope he remembers this day long after he is grown and has his own son to bless the way I was able to for him today.

(The 4th Article of Faith of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ... as composed by Joseph Smith, in response to a question he had received about what the "Mormons" believe:
We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the gospel are: First, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; Second, repentance; Third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; Fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.)

...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I missed seeing that! I'm so proud of Josh Jr. - a chip off the old block, eh?!

    ReplyDelete