Monday, July 11, 2011

Why is she hugging Dat bear ?

Tonight we watched Star Wars (Episode 4: A New Hope) as a family.  This was partially for FHE (Family Home Evening), and partially because Karen and I have decided our kids need to be versed in "the classics."  We borrowed the trilogy (the first ones from the late 70's and early 80's) from Karen's brother Brian and have plans to watch all three episodes, with the kids, in the next 1-2 weeks.  I'll do another post at some point about the other movies Karen and I have deemed "classics" but for now I wanted to explain the blog title.

Catalina, who recently turned 4 years old, has a limited understanding of these films.  So throughout the evening she was asking questions that a four-year old might ask.  "Is dat a bad guy?"  "Are dem friends?"  "Who cut him arm off?"  "Is him da good guy?"  "Is dat guy dead now?"  "Why him so sad?"  and on and on and ON!

By far the most amusing of these questions was her sincere inquiry that is the title of this blog.  She asked the question after the scene where Luke Skywalker and Han Solo shoot the Imperial fighter jets out of the sky.  After showing Luke and Han celebrating, the movie switches to a shot of Princess Leia hugging Chewbacca.  And Cat wanted to know why "dat lady" was huggeen "dat bear."

I love her questions!  They're funny but also very sincere!  :)

...

3 comments:

  1. I applaud you and Karen's decision to show the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catalina is so precious!! Her questions totally cracked me up! I'm also very happy that you and Karen are introducing the classics to your children, and I'm glad you've started off with Episodes IV, V and VI (instead of I, II and III, which aren't nearly as good!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very surprised to realize how much foul language was included in some of the 80's classics. I've taken to reviewing the movies before showing them to my kids. I wanted to show the kids Back to the Future but it didn't make the cut.

    We must have had a pretty good internal filters back in the day.

    ReplyDelete