Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Do you have a favorite "rainy day" song ?

I have blogged MANY times before about how much I LOVE the rain!  This afternevening, as the storm clouds (that had been uneventfully hovering for hours) finally started to let loose their flow of beautiful water droplets, I had another song pop into my head (blogged about that before too!)

The song was "I Love a Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbitt.  I remember listening to that song off a record or the radio as a small boy in Orem, Utah.  Thankfully my mom and dad had an eclectic collection and taste in music so I was able to hear all kinds of tunes growing up.  This song happens to be my absolute favorite rain-related song ... but there are many others related to "rain" that are worthy of honorable mentions.

So herewith is my impromptu list of rain-themed songs that I like (links to youtube videos for each are included if possible) ...

"Raining On Sunday" by Keith Urban.  I like this song because it focuses on how things can actually be better for relationships when weather changes plans.  There's something difficult about blowing off a day to just hang out with your lover ... but bad weather eliminates any need to make other excuses.  You can just say "We'd have done more but, you know, it was raining ... so we couldn't really do much."  Guilt free time to just hang out with your loved one!

"I Wish It Would Rain Down" by Phil Collins.  I've always been a Phil Collins fan!  From his early stuff that was more edgy and angry, to his save the world, easy-listening, adult contemporary hits of the 90's.  Heck, I even like almost everything he's written for Disney in Tarzan, Brother Bear, etc.  This song isn't a happy tune, but it always makes me smile.  I remember standing outside Heath Junior High School in Greeley, CO and singing this song in my head.  Of course, it had a different motive in those days ... they wouldn't open the doors to let you in early unless it was raining or snowing ... and due to early-morning seminary I was always there very early in the morning.  Timeless tune though and great reference to rain as a chance to wash away memories, sins, and the like.

"Kiss The Rain" by Billie Myers.  Another "slow" song with a bit of a depressing twist ... but the tune is haunting and the desperation in her voice is just evident in virtually every word!  She is separated from her lover and is questioning his devotion and commitment to her.  She ends up simply pleading for him to kiss the rain if he can't resist the temptation of someone else.  At least that's my take on it ... let me know if you see it differently.

"Rain Is A Good Thing" by Luke Bryan.  The very first time I heard the first few words of this song on the radio I knew I would love it.  The chorus is so catchy even though it references drinking excessively and doing things in a barn that would make your mama blush.  My daughters love this song (should I be worried?!) and it is easy to understand why.  Mock country music all you like but you know you're singin' right along with a big ol' southern drawl when he says "start warshin' all our worries down the drain!"

Feel free to add any song I might have missed in the comments below.  I left out "Blame It On The Rain" by Milli Vanilli on purpose (even though it is quite catchy).  I'm sure there are some gems that I have left out, but these came to mind first.  Thanks for reading!

...

2 comments:

  1. I thought of "Songs About Rain" by Gary Allen and "Bring on the Rain" by JoDee Messina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome "rain" songs! These are mine:
    "Rainy Days And Mondays" - The Carpenters
    "Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - BJ Thomas
    "Singin' In The Rain" - Gene Kelly
    "It Never Rains In Southern California" - Albert Hammond
    "Fire And Rain" - James Taylor

    ReplyDelete