Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Is that all I am to you ?

This evening I was greeted by one of my extended family members with a less-than-exciting sort of hello.

The exact words were "Yay, food."

I know the person didn't mean anything rude by it and they later were thankful for my cooking efforts, but it certainly didn't come across very good when it first happened.  My blog title is the question that immediately popped into my head when I was acknowledged with that greeting.

Here's the back story:
I often meet my wife and kids (after I leave work) at the local pool near my in-law's house.  Tonight was supposed to be a Movie Night (where they show a movie on an outdoor screen while people still swim, etc.)  It ended up being cancelled due to lightning and rain (just enough to justify cancelling, but not so much that anyone was ever really in any danger).

Usually for these pool nights, my wife will bring hamburgers and hot dogs for our family.  On occassion we have also provided food for extended family members.  Without intending to make a big stink of it ... there was one evening like this not long ago where three of my wife's brothers were all at the pool ... but she somehow still ended up grilling hamburgers and hot dogs for everyoneI'm not trying to be sexist, but I have to wonder how THREE grown men (all fathers no less) could sit idly by and allow their sister (whose husband was still at work and who has SIX KIDS with her at the pool) to make them dinner.

Fast forward to this evening.  I barely arrive at the pool from work and as I'm walking in, one of these extended family members welcomes me with the "Yay food!" comment.  As I said before, this person DID thank me later and I KNOW they didn't mean any harm by their comment ... but sometimes I think it is easy for ALL OF US to get lost in our own little world.

For anyone who reads this blog that I may have inadvertantly been rude or insensitive too ... I am truly sorry!  Please let me know the next time we see each other so that I can not make that kind of mistake again.  I am certain I did not intend to offend and I hope you will forgive me.

...

2 comments:

  1. I forgive you.

    And now I will let you stew and wonder what you said that offended* me. :)






    *dramatization, may not have happened

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're in the clear with me - haven't offended me yet...but if you do then don't be surprised if I "forget" to carpool you to work one of these days :) Just kidding...kinda.

    ReplyDelete