Monday, June 3, 2013

What Is Your Blog About ?

A friend of mine from work, recently began blogging.  He told me that he has enjoyed reading my posts over the years and decided that he should write one himself.  I complimented him on his decision to do so and then asked him the title of this blog post.

You see, Mark (that's my friend's name) had asked me for help on his blog.  He felt that it looked plain and wanted to know how to do different things on it, visually and functionally.  And my answer was to start with the most important question:

What are you going to be blogging about?

Why is that the most important question?  Because what your blog is about and who your audience is, determines the majority of how you set up your blog.  You will want to match your background images, sidebars, font, color, links, etc. to whatever theme you want to convey.

My blog theme is questions and that is what I am passionate about writing about.  So ...
 - I selected an open road as my background picture, because it begs the question 'where does that road lead?'
 - I phrased all of my sidebars in the form of questions.


I use certain fonts and different colors and include links and/or pictures that catch the attention of the reader because my blog is not just for me.  I try to make my posts enjoyable or interesting for almost anyone to read.  I do share personal stories and these will be a nice journal to reflect back on years down the road, but that is not my primary intent of blogging.  It is a creative outlet that I hope spurs creativity in anyone who reads it.

I am anything but an expert at this.  I know less than almost any other blogger probably does, but I am happy to share what I know.  And making sure your blog is what you want it to be is the most important thing if you want to keep at it.

Song Of The Day:
I love a good singer/songwriter and Norah Jones certainly has accomplished plenty in this category.  The title of her popular song "Don't Know Why" can certainly apply to this post.  If you don't know why you are writing your blog, then you will likely not continue doing it.  If you don't know who your audience is, then it is almost impossible to tweak it in a way you will be most proud of it.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment