Sunday, June 9, 2013

How Do You Know If You're Addicted To Something ?

In church today, the lesson in Gospel Doctrine (the main adult Sunday School class) was on the Word Of Wisdom as outlined to Joseph Smith in the 1800's.  Much of the discussion in class was centered around the "Do's" and "Don'ts" of that inspired revelation.

As usual, I only got to hear a portion of the lesson (I'm often called out of class to help with one of my kids, or arrive late to class because I was helping one of my kids).  Also as usual, my mind took the lesson material and began applying it to my own life in a more personalized way.

I found myself pondering addictions.

My own personal belief is that the Word Of Wisdom is actually counseling us to avoid anything addictive, and not just the substances outlined in the scriptures.  This is my own belief so don't anyone get any ideas that this is doctrine for anyone else to follow.  That said, here are a few questions that might better illustrate what I was thinking about during the lesson.

Do you have to drink a soda with your meal, or have at least one can each day?
Do you have to check your personal email or Facebook page every day?
Are you feeling withdrawals during a sports season if you haven't seen the most recent game scores?
Can you just decide to go a week without eating chocolate or candy?
Is your day incomplete until you have watched some TV? 
Do you feel out of sorts if you haven't played an online game or video game in the last day or two?

I believe that once you cannot choose NOT to do something, you are then most likely addicted to that thing (food, activity, or otherwise).  I'm not talking about breathing or drinking water.  I mean that any activity (including eating a certain something) that your body or mind eventually forces you to do is probably an addiction on some level.  Once that happens, you have lost your freedom of choice and that is one of God's greatest gifts to us, his children.

Not all addictions are bad (I think brushing your teeth or telling your family you love them are great addictions!), but if the activity doesn't directly benefit you or someone else, then it may be time to reconsider it.


Song Of The Day:
Today's song is "Choose" by Color Me Badd.  This was not their most popular hit, but I'm sure you remember the group's name.  I like this song because your ability to truly control your own choices is the safest way to avoid addictions before they become so overwhelming you need help to get that control back.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment