Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Aren't We All Just A Little OCD ?

I recently saw a post on facebook with one of those memes of the "Dos Equis" guy.  The words printed on the picture were to the following effect: "I don't always watch Netflix, but when I do, I find a show I like and watch all 7 seasons in two days and then get depressed when it's over."  That has been my experience with Netflix many times over (in fact I've blogged about several TV shows that Karen and I have watched in that manner).

Our most recent favorite has been "Monk" (although we have been watching it off and on for roughly the past year).  Perhaps my favorite part about the show is how his excessive OCD tendencies and irrational fears highlight that we ALL have some of these fears or OCD preferences.  Monk just happens to have all of them, but if we are honest with ourselves (especially as we get older) it is easier to recognize that we start to have very defined patterns in our day to day life.

I have to have towels folded and hung straight on towel rods.  Ask my kids.

I do not like my ice to be clumped at the bottom of a cup full of water.  I will shake the cup or poke the ice with my finger so it can float freely.

I straighten my desk at work every night before I leave to come home.  The desk has to be "clean" before I can leave.

I always place a napkin across my leg whenever eating a meal.  I use a separate napkin to wipe my mouth and hands.  The one on my leg is almost never touched.

I don't think these are problematic quirks and I am betting that you have many of your own.  My suggestion is to take a moment and think about them.  Recognize that your quirks seem completely normal to you.  In fact, you probably have a very good reason for doing things that way.  It would be good to keep that in mind before judging someone else's quirks as odd or inappropriate.

Song Of The Day:
I know this song has nothing to do with being normal, in fact quite the opposite, but it fits.  "People Are Strange" by Brave People (originally by the Doors) is a song that was introduced to me by Gail B back in good ol' Greeley, CO.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment