Saturday, January 22, 2011

Wha-a-a-a-a-at ?

To get this post correct you have to say the title with more of an "O" sound as you get further into the A's in the long wha-a-a-a-a-a-at word ... almost like you're saying "whoa" but then you make your voice get more falsetto and ... well anyway, if you can't figure it out just give me a call and I'll demonstrate.

If yesterday's post didn't give it away, I was able to attend a BYU basketball game tonight at Moby Arena in Ft Collins, CO.  You can go to espn.com or any other sports website to find out how the game played out ... short summary: BYU up 15 at halftime ... CSU played aggressive D int he second half and kept the game close (no better than within 6 points) up until the last minute.  Final score: BYU 94, CSU 85.

This afternevening into the night was an excursion with my younger brother Jordan and my dad.  It was a rare opportunity for the three of us to spend some time together ... with just the three of us.  It is somewhat sad that we don't get to spend more time with each other, because we have a blast!  I say "somewhat sad" because when we're not together we're usually with our wives and/or children ... and there is nothing sad about spending time with our immediate families!

I have not laughed so hard in a VERY long time.  The drive up is around two hours depending on traffic through Denver.  This left LOTS of time for the three Case men (we missed you Jeremy but we also respect that basketball/sports is not really your thing) to talk on all kinds of topics: life, our beautiful wives, jobs, Church service, in-laws, politics, diversity, differences in the world today versus 20, 50 or 100 years ago, etc.

For those who haven't been around Case men much, you better come prepared with what you want to say and you better recognize when the others are taking a breath because it is the ONLY time you are going to get a word in edgewise.  The conversation also moves around like the dogs in the movie UP when they hear "Squirrel!"  So if you have a comment about a topic from 30 seconds ago, you're TOO late !!!

For dinner we polished off the 50 Chicken McNuggets meal at McD's (which comes with two large drinks and two large fries).  I have decided that Ben (my 9-year old) and I are going to try to Case-Men vs. Food that meal ourselves ... mostly because I finished most of the meal after my dad and Jordan claimed they had cramps or something equally ridiculous and lame!  :)  Just kidding guys ... but I easily ate 20 nuggets and 1 1/3 of the boxes of fries.  Mmmmmm ... I was finally full!  :)

But back to the blog title ... there was this guy about 15 rows up from us dressed to the 9's in his CSU gear.  EVERY single time that a call was made against CSU he emphatically stood up and threw his arms in the air.  We noticed this only a few minutes into the game and laughed ourselves each time from then on.  When he stood up we'd say in a slightly louder than was probably appropriate voice "Wha-a-a-a-a-at?!"  The guy was way too far from us to hear it, but the people around us (most of them BYU fans) got a pretty big kick out of it.  I did feel bad for the family in front of us because obviously they wanted to be in the CSU fan area.  Oh well ... we cheered almost as loudly for CSU when they made an amazing play.

Anyway, I'd better wrap up but I just wanted to publicly say "Thanks!" to my dad and little brother for a incredibly fun and satisfying evening!  The boring drive on the stretch of road that never ends will never be as enjoyable as it was this evening.  And things like "just drive straight forever" and "NOW!" and "do you think it has anything to do with the way the dog looks?" and "I think he had a three and some rebounds ... I better look ... no, he had nothing ... I don't know what I'm talking about" and "do you know when they ate bacon 150 years ago?" and "when you get a text at 11pm you have to wonder where the kid is going to play" will always be cherished memories of the laughter and camaraderie we enjoyed this chilly January night.

Love you guys!  Go Cougs!  Can't wait for the Air Force game on Feb 9th!

...

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you "Case men" were able to hang out together! Sounds like it was a blast! I appreciate the comment you made about me, but I'm glad it was just the 3 of you guys together - you deserve that bonding time!

    ReplyDelete