Monday, January 24, 2011

Is it time for another Pick 6 ?

I think SO !!!

Here are my favorite 6 Songs from the artist Jon Secada.

You might not remember him much, but he was quite popular back when I was in high school.  I still remember jamming to his tunes on the way to early morning seminary ... and even dancing to some of them at school and church dances.


So let me know your thoughts ... click the title of each song for a link to it on YouTube ... not all the best quality, but you'll enjoy the step back in time, I promise you!  :)

#6.  If You Go  - This song came out my senior year of high school and it was a great "let's not break up" kind of song.  I had been in an on-again, off-again relationship and this song just seemed to fit.  The words are filled with longing, but also somewhat of a sense of "I'll move on ... if I have to."  For those that knew me and knew that relationship, I think we'd all agree it was very much for the best that my mission came along and disrupted plans that others had for me.  So glad ... so VERY glad ... I love you Karen!

#5.  Do You Believe In Us?  - I'm probably wrong but I think this was the 2nd major hit he had from his debut album.  Another song that immediately takes me back to high school crushes, this song was one of the first that made me realize I love string instruments in the background of pop music.  They just add depth and I love that against a drum-heavy background.

#4.  If I Never Knew You  - This is a beautiful love song that is a duet with Shanice.  I actually had never heard this song until I bought his Greatest Hits CD, but I love the melody and especially the message.  This song makes me think of my beautiful wife and family.  Life would be so empty without Karen (and then later, my kids).  What can I say, I'm a sucker for love songs!

#3.  Too Late, Too Soon  - On the flipside, I am also a sucker for break-up songs and this one just conveys such a desperate message from a travelling husband/boyfriend who happens upon the worst possible scenario.  But rather than shoot the guy (like in Maroon 5's "Wake Up Call"), this person simply laments the decisions that led him to this sad situation.  Not a "happy" song, but an amazing tune that I can listen to over and over again.

#2.  I'm Free  - Amazing piano!  I love piano heavy music!  There is just something about those keys and a single voice that gives me chills and makes me want to be able to play and sing along!  The message of this song is so uplifting and powerful, especially when he sings "Do you need a friend right now?  ... Just call me and I'll be right there."  Who among us hasn't needed a friend to just be there and tell us the good things that are happening in life all around us every day?!

#1.  Time Heals  - This song has special meaning for me.  Remember back to your first "true love."  Of course, if you're like most of us, that was not love at all, but the emotions you felt with that person were the first real deep emotions you likely ever felt.  Then when it is over it just feels ... empty.  Like life will never get better and you'll never be happy again.  This song is especially poignant for those times if you were the one who felt betrayed and "dumped."  The song starts so happy with "I love you ..." but in just a few more seconds you understand the feelings being expressed and they are not loving.  I also like this song because it is right in my vocal range and I can sing along at any time of the day without screeching my voice too much.  "Cause I loved you and I was true ... but you never loved me at all.  I was 'just your friend' that's all."

So there you have it ... many more artists to come ... I've thought about doing a song a day, but I like this better.  I'm not coordinated enough to do it on a set day each week though so you'll just have to pop back to see my other favorites from the eclectic collection of artists I love to listen to.

...

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post... yet again!! I have spent the last half hour listening to these songs and man they take me back... I'm going to have to borrow your Jon Secada cd's so I can rip them!!! :P Love you and love these songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon Secada...I totally remember him and I loved his music. My favorite song of his is "Just Another Day". I remember listening to "Do You Believe In Us" while riding with you in the Trans Am. Ah, memories!

    ReplyDelete