Monday, January 24, 2011

So when does the "other shoe" drop ?

You've probably heard this saying before ... "I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop."

If you haven't, then let me explain it briefly.  It is usually stated by someone when they are feeling like things are just a little TOO good to be true.

For me, these past few weeks and months (and years to be perfectly frank) seem to have been one constant "waiting for the other shoe to drop" kind of experience.  I know I've blogged here before about just how awesome I think various aspects of my life are ... but today (and late last night as I was falling asleep) it just hit me again.

Without covering the entire expanse (especially because it would probably sound like I'm bragging, which leads to pride and that's generally not a good thing), let me highlight a few recent "awesome" things that just leave me wondering "How am I so darn blessed?!"

First, from a spiritual standpoint, I do not think I have felt my testimony being so strong since my missionary days.  Not that I've been "lost" or anything.  It's just that we've been super blessed as a family to be able to have some really cool faith-promoting experiences.

Second, financially things have been much better than they probably should be.  That's not to mistakenly say that we're rollin' in it but the Lord has provided for us in all sorts of expected and unexpected ways.  This further strengthens my faith in the principle of tithing.  Ten percent is truly nothing compared to the blessings we receive as we continue to live this law, both in the spirit and to the letter.

Third, relationships.  I've just become even more aware of the amazing people I have around me.  Beyond my immediate family (which is crazy amazing and deserving of a father/husband so much better than I am), I am surrounded by extended family and friends that literally would take a bullet for me.  Or at least they would come and jump my car if it died, etc.

Fourth, physically I am just in a very comfortable place.  I'm not in the best shape of my life, but with a little more running and maybe some light weightlifting I could easily get there (and plan too by mid-summertime).  Sure there are aches and pains in parts of my body I never really knew existed before, but they still dissipate with a few ibuprofen and a good night's sleep.

All this is just to say that I truly thank my Father in Heaven for His amazing support of me through a variety of blessings that I am sure He knows I deserve, but I respectfully question His grace to me.  I am humbled by His generosity, and yet, I know He is waiting to bless me even more as I strive to live more in His way.

Thanks to Him and to all of you for being a part of my "living the dream!"

...

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! You are blessed... and so am I for having you in my life!! Thanks for being an awesome example, big brother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about "waiting for the other shoe to drop", but I admire your positive attitude and that you are embracing/celebrating your blessings instead of trying to downplay them! Thanks for helping me see the value in recognizing and embracing one's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete