Friday, November 1, 2013

1 - You Were In An A Capella Group ?

From the Facebook post little known facts about Josh Case Sr:

1 - I sang tenor in a four-person A Capella group in high school.

I have always loved singing, but I never claimed to be any more than adequate at it.  Still, there is something heavenly, bordering on orgasmic, about a four part harmony coming together.  I love being a part of that and as a result have put myself in various situations I never should have really been in.

Back in high school was the first of these experiences.  Three of my friends from Spectrum (our select high school choir) and I decided that we loved singing enough that we should form our own a capella group.  Why a capella?  The real question is: why not?!

Our name was "A Shade Of Soul" which was supposed to be a play on words because we were all caucasian. The name was as mediocre as our singing, but we had fun and actually made quite a bit of money one Valentine's Day.  We spread the word about our willingness to serenade loved ones and shower them with gifts (flowers, candy, etc.) for a nominal fee.  We made enough money to pay for our entry fee to the annual UNC Jazz Festival.  We also had enough left over to splurge on some sweatshirts with our ridiculous logo and equally ridiculous bright red lettered names running down the sleeve.  I am glad I don't have any pictures of them.

We "broke up" shortly after our disastrous performance at the aforementioned jazz festival.  But we had certainly enjoyed many wonderful moments of harmony and melody coming together as we invested hours of our free time to try and improve our sound.


Song Of The Day:
Around this same time I became quite fond of the A Capella group The Nylons.  Obviously they were/are MUCH better than our group was, but their song "Good Old A Capella" always reminds me of the fun that can be had when a group of people just enjoy making that good old harmony.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment