Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Why Are You Limping ?

Today at work many people asked me the title question of this post.  Despite my desire to respond sarcastically and act all offended like "This IS how I walk!  Why are you picking on me?!" I chose the discretionary path and just fessed up to my injury.

I sprained my left ankle yesterday playing basketball.  This is rather unimportant in and of itself, but the way in which the injury occurred gave me an idea for a blog post.

What age do you perceive yourself to be?


We hear the expression 'She's an old soul.'  We know people who are 'wiser than their years' or deal with people who are 'old enough to know better.'  But I think each one of us views ourselves as a certain age or at a certain stage in life.

I have a friend who has always seemed like he is nearing retirement.  It's not just his hair color (frosty white) or his complexion (his face has lots of wrinkles), but his mannerisms and activity level.  He just seems old.

I myself, think that I am still in my late teens or early twenties.  I engage in stupid behaviors (eating ice cream for dinner, staying up way past my bedtime).  I look at middle-aged (40 or older) people and wonder how they have any energy for anything.  I use slang words and listen to Top 40 music (sometimes).  And I play basketball with reckless abandon and expend much more energy and effort than someone MY age should.

The reality is too harsh to write here, but suffice it to say that I am NOT that young (nor is my friend that old).  In fact, I am very close to what I used to consider middle-age and that truth stares at me in the mirror each morning.  I find myself wondering things like 'what happened?' or 'how did I get here?' or 'when did I start growing hair there?!'  I don't like these questions.  I don't want to believe it is happening.  So instead I hustle for my own rebound on a shot I shouldn't have missed, and in the process land my slower foot on an opponent.  TWIST.  ouch.  Game over ... at least for a few days.  :)


Song Of The Day:
It's not a new song any more, but I did recently hear "Human" by Christina Perri on the radio and it felt appropriate for this post about the fragility of our physical bodies.  I think it's human to play hard, but it's also human to forget that we're not teenagers any more.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment